AYT Note: This blog is a part of the Sweaty New Zealand Challenge Series: 15 days & 15 ways to sweat. The purpose of an Athlete. Yogi. Traveler. Adventure is to take ourselves off the beaten path and into new territory. New places, new people, new scenery, new ways to sweat. Game on.
How many places in the world can you drive along the highway and come across a seemingly endless supply of trails? Along New Zealand’s Haast Pass Highway, green and yellow trail signs pop out of the side of the road, leaving you just enough time to pull over to see what you might be missing. Check out three of the many hikes you can find along the Haast Pass Highway!
Monro Beach Walk
* Get the blood flowing with a morning trail run here. Run (more like a light jog, let’s be honest) : 25 minutes one way. 7 kilometers total.
* Spot the Fiordland Penguins here. Best at dawn and dusk. Be sure not to stand on the beach in the penguin’s path as they make their way onto land, otherwise they won’t come in!
* Sounds like this should be the name of an ol’ Western film. This is a quick 15 minute walk to a vast expanse of the Haast River and large falls.
* Bring your picnic here and plop down on the millions of pebble rocks hugging the edge of the river.
* This spot is gorgeous and everyone knows it. The pools at the end of this 15 minute walk are a vibrant and unique sight. Despite the chilly water, this is definitely a hot spot for visitors.
* The pools create an intense shade of blue from the sunlight reflecting off the icy water. This would be a stellar spot for a fun swim…except for the fact that it’s freezing in there. Who’s up for a polar swim?
Products we got sweaty in (and loved every bit of it):
*Injinji socks: No blisters! (type: Performance lightweight no-show and Performance lightweight mini-crew)
*GoPro: How can we not document this awesome exploration? (type: Hero2)
*Vibram shoes: Connect with the earth. (type: KSO Treksport, Spyridon)
*CamelBak: Water. You gotta love it.
*RawRev: Raw nutritional bars. Yum!
*COOLA: Organic suncare that is good for you and the earth? Can’t go wrong with that. (type: Sunscreen Spray SPF 35 Sport, Unscented Mineral Sunscreen SPF 30)