2.8.15

The frequency in which we move throughout the day is just as important as how we move. We understand that in today’s society, it’s “normal” to take a 60 minute exercise class, go sit at work / school for 5-8 hours, run a few errands, eat dinner (in a chair) and top off the evening on the couch watching our favorite show. While this may be deemed normal for society, this is certainly not normal for the human body, in regards to how it is designed to be used and function at its optimum. Just because we go take a sweatilicious spin class for 45 minutes, doesn’t mean we’ve got our movement in for the day. There are 23 hours and 15 minutes left in your day!

Today’s short video shares a few ideas on how to increase movement throughout the day, without having to step into the gym. NOTE: as we mentioned in the first sentence, how you move has a big impact on the health of your tissues, bones, and systems (cardiovascular, nervous, lymph). We will dive into this in future videos. Until then…

As our favorite Biomechanist, Katy Bowman, shares in a blog titled, Thinking Outside the Classroom Chair, “Many think ‘Hey, I walk a mile every day,’ or ‘I ride my bike to work!’ and that’s fantastic. But in these cases we are attempting to achieve, with a bout of exercise, the effects that all-day movement has on the body. In the same way eating one meal’s worth of calories (700) a day doesn’t fuel us in the same way a full 2,500 calories does, our approach to exercise – an hour a day – is the equivalent to movement-starvation.

Even with competitive athletes, the latest research shows that people can be both active and sedentary. Do the math. Even if you exercise an hour a day, seven days a week, your total movement time equals a whopping 420 minutes out of 10,080 minutes in a week, or about 4% of all time spent. The rest of the time, the 96% of your weekly minutes, exercisers and non-exercisers alike sit–in their chairs, at their desks, in front of their books and computers.”

Leave a Reply