AYT Note: This blog is a part of the Sweaty New Zealand Challenge Series: 15 days & 15 ways to sweat. The purpose of an Athlete. Yogi. Traveler. Adventure is to take ourselves off the beaten path and into new territory. New places, new people, new scenery, new ways to sweat. Game on.
Just a five minute drive outside of New Zealand’s cultural center, Rotorua, you enter the Whakarewarewa Forest. With winding paths for the beginner and the expert, this is the ideal spot to test your bike savvy skills. Or the lack there of.
* Rent the “hardtail” bikes from Mountain Bike Rotorua for $35 per person for 2 hours.
* With a map in hand, we immerse ourselves in the unending forest of Redwoods. Peaceful and serene are just a couple words to describe the feeling of hearing only the rustle of the trees and the sound of your bike against the packed earth.
* Going on a Monday afternoon, it felt like we had the forest all to ourselves!
* Heaps of paths to venture on. We stuck to the beginner and intermediate paths (let’s just say I’m not the speediest of bikers).
* If you’re feeling more adventurous, there are some awesome tracks, humps, and “loopty loos” to take advantage of!
Products we tested/loved/got sweaty with:
*GoPro: Head shot! (Hero2)
*CamelBak: Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. (Big Chill with the jet valve)
*RawRev: Raw nutritional bars, we were one with the wild.
*lululemon athletica: Moisture wicking and anti-stink. Enough said.
*Vibram FiveFingers: Maybe not everyone is into wearing thin-soled FiveFingers when mountain biking, but we found it pretty cool! (Spyridon)
* Injinji: Keeping our feet dry, warm, and comfortable. Say not to toe blisters! (Outdoor fabric, no show)